Commercial Trucking Accidents
Nearly 2 million 18 wheeler trucks travel the highways. The massive size and weight of these giants are a threat to other drivers and to pedestrians. When tractor trailers collide with smaller vehicles or pedestrians, they cause death and catastrophic injury. The Birmingham law firm of Frank S. Buck, P.C., has experienced tractor trailer accident attorneys to handle 18 wheeler and commercial trucking accidents.
Strict guidelines issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration require commercial carriers to keep semis in safe operating condition. Drivers must be properly trained and licensed, and trucks must be inspected regularly. Improperly trained drivers and unsafe semis put other motor vehicle operators and pedestrians at risk. Tractor trailer accidents caused 771 injuries and 93 deaths in Alabama in 2008. A Birmingham, Alabama 18 wheeler accident lawyer at the Frank Buck Law Firm is expert in assisting victims.
Quick facts about commercial trucking accidents:
- The standard tractor trailer/18 wheeler weighs over 80,000 pounds.
- It takes the length of several football fields to bring an 18 wheeler to a complete stop.
- In 2010, there were over 2200 crashes in Alabama involving large trucks and buses.
- Over 500,000 trucking accidents occur each year in the United States, and approximately 5,000 of those trucking accidents result in fatalities, over 100,000 result in serious personal injuries.
- 1 out of every 8 traffic fatalities involves a commercial vehicle/truck.
- Nationwide, every 16 minutes a person is killed or seriously injured in a motor vehicle crash with a truck.
- More than 80% of these fatal accidents are the fault of the truck driver.
Substandard vehicle maintenance, improperly secured cargo, inadequate driver training, exhausted drivers, and alcohol or drug use are examples of negligence within the trucking industry. Negligence leads to tragic accidents. Contact the Birmingham law firm of Frank S. Buck, P.C., and an 18 wheeler accident attorney will fight for your right to maximum compensation in cases of damage, injury or loss of life due to a tractor trailer or other commercial trucking accident.